Well, we graduated from UF (The University of Florida) in 2008 (most of us, at least). After leaving the halls (or atrium) of Weimer Hall, we're off to work in advertising, all across the country! What we're up to, and what we're in to - you'll find it here! Check often to find out about the Wizards of Weimer!

Sunday, August 3, 2008

My crazy life

I can try and plead some sort of amendment regarding my lack of posts on the blog as of late, but I’m not entirely sure which one would help in my current situation. So I’ll just plead the fifth and move on.
Two days ago I finished up my internship. One week ago my partner and I presented our intern project to out bosses, middle and senior management, the COO, and the CCO. I wish I could say more about my project, but to be honest I have a feeling that our projects actually did some good to the point that they may use some of it. As such, I’m going to have to remain tight lipped about it. Yet I will say a few things about it:
1) Seriously, when the COO and CCO are staring you down, you really, really, really feel nervous. I’m not one for getting butterflies in my stomach (I do enjoy speaking in public), however in this instance I had to hide my hands so no one could see how much they were shaking.
2) After the presentation the CCO came over and talked to me about how much he enjoyed my artwork on our plans book (which, by the way, were made completely by hand. From design, to print, to even putting the staples in). That’s a damn good feeling.
My last two weeks at Campbell-Ewald were amazing: the presentation, a Nerf war (I’m still nursing my injuries from falling off of a cubicle), my birthday (I got some free cupcakes, amazing gifts, and bowling in downtown Detroit), and sharing one of my new friend’s 21st birthdays.

There is a point to my rambling: when you look for an ad agency, make sure you’re happy for god-sake. Remember, you’re going to be working there. A lot. I was an intern and I still had to put in some late nights. To be completely frank, I didn’t mind doing that because I not only liked what I did, but I liked who I did it for (does that sound dodgy? I think it does.)
Of course, this is a very lofty thing to say when you’re trying to break into an ad agency. Refusing any offer leaves you to wonder if you just threw away the best (or only) job offer you’ll get. But you have to realize that chances are in a year (if you stand it that long) you will either be looking for another job, or hating every minute in your career.
All in all, my summer at Campbell-Ewald was amazing. I was given work for some damn cool clients (U.S. Mint, Navy, Carhartt, GM, and some others), worked with some damn cool people, and got paid pretty well for an internship. Most of all, I wasn’t given what I like to call ‘bitch work’. Sure, some stuff was less than desirable, however my only assignment wasn’t mopping floors, clean out the fridge, or making binders. People trusted me and I was given actual work.
Among everything I learned, it wasn’t simply advertising, but rather things to help me function in a day to day life in an office: getting along with others, speaking my mind, how to lead someone else, etc.
I could go on and on, but I won’t because I’m babbling now. All I can say is that my internship was SO awesome, and I was genuinely sorry I had to leave early.
As for Japan – I am now in Shinjuku’s skyscraper district getting ready for the JET orientation. For the next year I’ll be living in Japan as a High School teach teaching English.

Right now I would like to take a moment to sing the praises of Continental. I was sitting in coach, and yet the chair was quite comfortable, the food was good, and I watched watched Horton Hears a Who, The Incredibles, Batman Begins, Densha Otoko, The Simpsons, a TV special about Saatchi’s Lovemarks (very interesting if you can find it online), and Monsters Inc. All of this is free – FREE! Does this sound like a shill? Perhaps, but I just think of the last time I flew to Japan on Delta (hissss). I got a choice of Little Mermaid, Chicken Little, or Die Hard.
That’s. All.

Here? 300+ moves. ALL the HP movies, ALL of Pixar – everything.
Ok, so Japan. Umm, to be honest, I have no idea what I’m feeling. I keep thinking I’ll be back in a few months just in time for school to start. But I’m not, I’m living here. I AM LIVING IN A FOREIGN COUNTRY. I’m not being taken care of (I am, in a way, but no one is here to wipe my butt and pay my bills for me). I have to set up my internet on my own – in Japanese!
It’s difficult to explain what I’m feeling. Excitement? Trepidation?
I don’t know. All I know is my Japanese is rusty as hell, which is why I’m watching the news and repeating every other word like some kind of Rainman copycat.

No comments: