Well, we graduated from UF (The University of Florida) in 2008 (most of us, at least). After leaving the halls (or atrium) of Weimer Hall, we're off to work in advertising, all across the country! What we're up to, and what we're in to - you'll find it here! Check often to find out about the Wizards of Weimer!

Monday, August 18, 2008

My general feelings at this time

So here's what's been on my mind. I've included pictures to help make my story more visually appealing. Enjoy.

First, Fay is coming and hitting my hometown. While I guess I'm happy that I'm currently not in Fort Myers, it's still stressing me out. At work we were asked to pack up alot of our stuff and they passed around plastic garbage bags so that we could put stuff from our desk inside them that we didn't want getting wet.... which makes me wonder... why would my stuff, inside our office (with 4 solid walls and a roof) get wet? Scary.


However, I am happy that my phone and files are neatly tucked inside a white garbage bag ad protected from the treacherous rain in case our roof blows off... or a tsunami hits. Whichever comes first. But with the way my luck has been going lately, I would be the only person to have a leak over their desk and it will drip down, trickle through a slit in the garbage bag, ruin my phone and destroy my files.... and a lone palm frawn will probably be projected through my window and then land on my desk breaking it in half. Just my desk. No one else's. I should start preparing myself emotionally for my impending loss.




Another thing that I've been pondering is why Miami-Dade and Broward counties are closing their schools and yet my county (yes it's mine) did not close schools. Is it normal for South Florida to be extra cautious? Maybe they are still scarred from Andrew and other storms. Not sure. Or maybe god ole' Fort Myers needs to step it up a notch?


I've been watching the Olympics alot and I'm very upset that Usain Bolt from Jamacia, aka 'Lightning Bolt,' was so cocky when he won the 100m race. He should have ran full speed until he crossed the finish line. And the arms extended as if to say 'where you at?' was rude. I would have been happy for him but he needs to be humbled. I almost hope he falls in his next race. I hope he doesn't get hurt but I hope he either trips or comes in dead last. I'd laugh really hard. Jamaica is completely dominating track. Hopefully USA steps it up. None the less, those guys and gals are so freakin' fast. Geezz!




My favorite part is to see the track races in slow motion. Watching their cheeks and faces jiggle sloooooooowlyyyyy makes me smile. :)


On the Olympics note, there are alot of endorsement deals with athletes in the Olympics. But when these guys don't qualify or win, it poses a huge problem for these big brands such as Coca-Cola, Nike and others. So we forget that when these well known athletes don't even qualify for an event, not only is it a major blow to their ego and the country they represent, but just imagine the companies who have to swallow that huge monetary loss. For example, Liu Xiang injured his achilles (OOW!) and couldn't qualify for the hurdles. Nike's going to feel that one. Apparently there were people sobbing in the stands when he couldn't race. Talk about emotionally invested fans. Check out my story line below:


Xiang gets hurt (looks very painful)

Xiang tries to race (why Xiang, why?)


Xiang withdrawls from qualifier

Fans cry becasue they love Xiang :(


PS- Pole jumping is nuts! Those people are crazy.

4 comments:

Mel Doug said...

As a Broward county native, it brings glorious JOY when school is canceled (as does all children). But, Broward county is a (may I say) fucked up place. We are the land of screwing up elections (and thus buying electronic machines $$$$ then throwing them all out and switching back to paper ballots $$$$$) and where people cower and watch in the face of hurricanes. Oh and where they have at least 1 'teacher planning day' a month so teachers can have 4 day weekends, spanning school out from mid-late august to mid june each year. So canceling school (and thus never having to make it up [budget cuts and all]) saves them time and money.

PS Love the channel 7 weather shot... I'm a fan of channel 7.

And the 'where you at?' [BOOST Mobile anyone?] comment made me laugh my ass off. They ARE SO COCKY ! I went to high school with Walter Dix (who got a bronze in the 100m) and he wouldn't have done that across the finish line... Americans tend to be cocky I feel like, but when you win the 'fastest man in the world' you do have something to brag about.

burchie said...

This post makes me miss all that is Frannie... Good luck with your elegant desk and the cartoony palm fronds that seem to inhabit South Florida.

ILY!

burchie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
burchie said...

Also, from AdAge today or yesterday... Article about Lui Xiang pulling out of race and the effect on sponsors, China, etc.

http://adage.com/olympics2008/post?article_id=130371