Well, we graduated from UF (The University of Florida) in 2008 (most of us, at least). After leaving the halls (or atrium) of Weimer Hall, we're off to work in advertising, all across the country! What we're up to, and what we're in to - you'll find it here! Check often to find out about the Wizards of Weimer!

Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Feel like saving things?



Oh sure, you can choose to save the whales, polar bears, and maybe even the dolphins. If you so choose, you can even save Britney Spears*.
However, out of all these causes I think perhaps my favorite is Oxford Dictionary's Savethewords.org.

As a rather emphatic logophile (...I'll give you a few seconds to look it up...), this site was a rather nice find for me. Not only is it visually interesting, but it gives you quite a few words that, chances are, you have never ever ever ever seen in your life. Ever.
The goal of the web site is to save words that are endanger of being dropped from the dictionary. Visitors pick a word and then promise to use it in their daily life with the hopes that it will eventually make it back into the layman's lexicon.

Since I have such a large heart, I decided to adopt two words: vicambulate ("Zombies are prone to vicambulate late at night, no doubt because there is less traffic on the streets.") and sparsile ("Bob had to give up his job at the observatory because each time he spotted a sparsile star he began to cry.")

*That is, if you really want to...

1 comment:

burchie said...

I guess my computer at work doesn't have flash installed... here's the message I got when I clicked the link:

"Alternate HTML content should be placed here.This content requires the Adobe Flash Player.Get Flash"

I love the wording "alternate HTML content SHOULD be placed here." So take THAT savethewords.org!