Well, we graduated from UF (The University of Florida) in 2008 (most of us, at least). After leaving the halls (or atrium) of Weimer Hall, we're off to work in advertising, all across the country! What we're up to, and what we're in to - you'll find it here! Check often to find out about the Wizards of Weimer!

Monday, February 2, 2009

Coho, Salmon, what the heck is going on!?

So I was innocently chatting away online the other night when I got an AIM from CollegiateCoho saying Hey, Jimmy. 

Clearly, I'm not Jimmy.  Nor have I seen this screen name before.  Now I know more normal people would X out, but being the extremely curious person I am, I dove right into the conversation.  This person, who I later found out was supposedly a twenty-something gamer from Ottowa, Canada, claimed that I had IMed him the same greeting, and that my screen name was CrazyCoho or something.

I googled and wiki-ed away until I finally found an explanation.  This Canadian dude and I had unwillingly been a part of a huge social-experiment/internet game that started in 2007 through Livejournal (who knew people were still on that? So 6th grade).  It started out as "The Great Hatsby"... a program grabs screen names that are listed on livejournal, twitter, facebook, anything...and matches it up with another screen name.  Something like an AIM bot instigates the conversations between the two and their replies are sent thru the bot so that their real screen names are never shown.  All the screen names have "adjective+coho" or "adjective+salmon"

Don't really know what the point was exactly, I guess it's a fun little game for those looking for random friends on the internet?  I've never really been the chat-room, let's be fast friends with strangers type. 

But hey- I now know who to IM if I want to discuss hockey, old SNES games, indie movies, or Canada. 

2 comments:

Linny said...

You too?! For a while I figured someone was setting some kind of chat-logging bot after me.

Well, nice to know I was right -- kind of...

Sean said...

i think i was one of those people that ignored it...