Well, we graduated from UF (The University of Florida) in 2008 (most of us, at least). After leaving the halls (or atrium) of Weimer Hall, we're off to work in advertising, all across the country! What we're up to, and what we're in to - you'll find it here! Check often to find out about the Wizards of Weimer!

Saturday, June 21, 2008

I wish I paid more attention in Spanish class...

First off, I'm honored to be a new member. Thanks for thinking I'm cool enough to contribute. Second... I need some pics of me on this background. Nancy's sassyness is dominating.

So I just started at Crispin Porter and Bogusky this past Monday (6/16). I am really excited to be there but moving and finding a place in Miami has just been crazy. I was in Europe for three weeks and I found out on the trip, while in Delphi to be exact, I found out I got this internship. They wanted me to start on the 2ns but I told them I wasn't even getting home till the 10th. They said that I could start the 16th. Which was great, but it still only gave me 6 days to come home, get over jet lag, unpack, repack everything, find a place to live in Miami (which is HARD) and move in. Stressful? Yeh. Little bit.

After I got moved in and situated that first night I basically passed out. My first day was rough. But I feel like first days are always rough. I worked at BBDO Atlanta last summer and knew what to expect but CPB is so different. Everything there is even more casual and laid back, which I didn't think was possible. It's funny because everyone looks like they are just messing around but somehow work gets done. One of the best parts about the agency is that we have this huge dining/kitchen area. They have about everything you could ever want for breakfast stocked in there: croissants, bagels, smoothies, yogurt, fruit, coffee, a soda fountain machine, cereal, grits and oatmeal. I will never have to buy breakfast food... ever. We also have a phone booth in our lobby. If you step inside and pick up the phone it automatically connects with Dominos (one of our clients) and we get free pizza! Holla. It's fabulous. Oh, and Alex Bogusky just added me to his network on LinkedIn (WTF?!?!?)

I was also very happy to learn that we had a gym in our office that offers classes. There isn't a gym in the community I'm living in so that was clutch. What's also really cool is how connected we are with our office in Boulder. They have PolyCom machines (basically like video tele-conferencing screens) that are constantly running 24/7. You can see the main lobby at Boulder and they can see us. So it makes us feel very connected even though they are 3 bagillion miles away. I don't have to be to work until 10:30.... which rocks... and the best part is that I get to skip rush hour! Which is even worse in Miami then it was in Atlanta. I also got a new Mac laptop. All the interns get one to take home with them. So I'm really excited to have my mac :)

I joked with my dad and boyfriend that it's like a compound. They have Listerine and toothpaste in the bathrooms, a gym, free pizza, showers, a kitchen with food stocked 24/7. I could be there for 2 straight days and be fine.

Another really cool thing is that in our main lobby area we have this huge movie screen. With Euro 2008 going on, they will drop the screen and let people watch the game. I had no idea until I heard "GOOOOOALLLLL!" from a guy running through the office. Apparently he's a big Italy fan.

I definitely need to take a Spanish class. I haven't had any problems yet but Miami is basiclaly like another country. Everyone there speaks it and I've heard that at some places if you can't speak Spanish they think that you are the one who's wrong. It is very funny to walk into some places or to call people and have them answer "Hola" and not "Hello." I don't want to be the stupid, ignorant white girl who can't even speak Spanglish. It's just very ironic that I'm here casue in high shcool I hated Spanish with a passion. I had to take it for 4 year and test out of it in IB. I always told people that I'd have to be dragged kicking and screaming into a Spanish class... but yet here I am looking into classes. Oye.

I'm working in staffing. I tell people it's ironic because I want to be hired and yet I'm the one helping to hire. Hopefully I know their socks off and make them want me. I've pretty much made it clear that I want to get over into content management (aka account management). So I'm going to ask to sit in on meetings with the Microsoft team and any other accounts that will let me. Hopefully I can learn and at least know what's going on and how they do things. My supervisor is really nice and answers all my questions. She always makes time for me and is very easy going.

Here is something to check out. This is about our office in Boulder. It kinda shows our culture a little bit.

IF YOU AIN'T ON THE CP+B BUS, YOU AIN'T ON THE BUS!

Work is great. I love being there and being around the people. They are just amazing.
This is why I'm in advertising. I can wear jeans and flip flops to work. I can come in at 10:30. We get cool perks like free pizza, special parking for V-Dubs (and I have one!) and free Nike shoes! Everyone else should be very jealous of us wizards. We've got the right idea.

J-fran out!

4 comments:

Karina said...

I have to say...I was JUST on LinkedIn and saw that Alex Bogusky and you were connected and I though...DAMN! Go Jess. Ruff is probably crazy jealous. Glad everything's going well! Where'd you end up getting a place?

Linny said...

You know me too well, Karina. :D

Mel Doug said...

All those things CP+B has, are all things we could have used in Weimer- during sleepless nights of campaigns.

ABB said...

I'm a Spanish student and use spanishdict.com for its Spanish learning resources. You should check it out.

Good luck!