Well, we graduated from UF (The University of Florida) in 2008 (most of us, at least). After leaving the halls (or atrium) of Weimer Hall, we're off to work in advertising, all across the country! What we're up to, and what we're in to - you'll find it here! Check often to find out about the Wizards of Weimer!

Monday, June 23, 2008

Yes We Cannes (Complain About It)

Ok, so I work in a pretty cool place. We just won Agency of the Year and Network of the Year
at Cannes. For all of you who haven't seen it yet, you should check out the HBO Voyeur stuff - it's pretty cool. Just google it, youtube it, whatever. It took home the most Lions ever for any one campaign - 10. We came home with 17 total for BBDO NY. Our entire network, however, topped our previous best of 47 (we won Network of the Year last year as well) with 60 lions for BBDO Worldwide this year.

Which brings me to my point - if I really had one for this post. This is an awesome agency, with a lot of really cool stuff going on. And it just looks so boring inside! How does such great stuff come out of here? I thought you had to have really fun, creative spaces for good work to take life. I think it's cuz everyone here knows they work for BBDO and they just have an attitude about putting out the absolute best work (Yes We Cannes!). After all, our motto is: The Work. The Work. The Work.

But with it being so great, I find the little things here (as does everyone) to complain about:

1) The walls. They're soo damn boring. As is the carpet, and the rocks that sit on top of all the filing cabinets. Honestly, you would never imagine an ad agency really looking like this if you actually had seen other agencies and knew about the business. Anyone not involved would expect it to look like this. Hell, they'd even expect us to be wearing suits. (May also have to do with Mad Men - but that's the damn 60s). But yeah, i've done my best by putting up a couple pictures, but that's about all I can do.

2) PCs. What the hell. This is an ad agency. Any ad agency this day in age should be runnin solely on Macs - and that's not my bias seeping through either! Honestly, it may have made sense back....NO WAIT! IT NEVER MADE SENSE TO USE A PC! Bottom line, I just wish I had a mac instead of a pc at work.

3) The evil Phaser 6300. I swear to God this printer hates me. HATES ME. The 4150 isn't so bad, except for the time it didnt collate 3 40-page decks I printed out for a meeting then had to sit on the floor sorting them so I was a few minutes later. But no, the 6300...it stops printing my files sometimes at random. Like it just likes fucking with me. Honestly. It stops and then decides to print something that someone else needs printed, as if my papers aren't as important to print or something. I had a problem printing out some decks with it too the other day. And oh, today! I printed something out and it decided to print pages 1-9 of the first copy, then 1-9 of the second, then 10-18 of the first, then 10-17 of the second, then the rest of each document. WHY?????????? I refill it with paper when it needs it. What did I ever do to have this happen? The girls that sit next to me have noticed it (mainly due to my frustration) and don't know why it doesn't like me (as they get their stuff printed halfway through mine).

4) Pepsi. I like Coke. Bottom line. It's an easier switch than Mac to PC though. I do like all the free Aquafina and Lipton tea though.

5) The toilet paper. No, really, this bothers me. It's always on backwards in the bathroom! It should roll down, not up! And every roll in the bathroom is put on that way!

6) No cell service in the bathroom. Yeah, I'm serious. I'm a product of my generation - I don't have a newspaper, I have a BlackBerry. And I want to be able to read the news!


Not bad if that's the worst I have to complain about. I'm not even complaining that I was working till 8 tonight getting stuff in and out all over the world. Plus, I get $10 towards dinner and a cab ride home if I work past 8.

But I should get going, being that I've got a conference call tomorrow with the client to review the animatics for a spot that we're launching in Russia. One of the clients is in England and a couple are in China right now, so we're having the call nice and early so everyone can be involved. Meaning I get to be here early tomorrow. There's another thing - I don't mind working late, but I hate having to wake up early. Oh well, once I get past the fact that I had to wake up early I'll be fine. I'm going to get my dinner and cab ride then go to sleep. Gnight.

No comments: