Well, we graduated from UF (The University of Florida) in 2008 (most of us, at least). After leaving the halls (or atrium) of Weimer Hall, we're off to work in advertising, all across the country! What we're up to, and what we're in to - you'll find it here! Check often to find out about the Wizards of Weimer!

Friday, January 30, 2009

It started out as Pepsi vs. Coke, and became a long advertising rant. Enjoy.

Yea, I know there's another two days before the Superbowl.  But clearly I'm excited (about the ads). I've watched all the ones that are out already...and I want to discuss the age-old debate between Pepsi vs. Coke.  Not being a soda drinker myself, I could care less which one tastes better.  What I am interested in is who has the better spot.    

Here's one Coke spot, Heist.  And another, Avatar

And here's Pepsi's Refresh Anthem.

Personally, I LOVE the Pepsi spot. I don't know if I'd consider Will.I.Am to be comparable to Bob Dylan, but the idea is great. The music is great.  The comparisons are fun (and must have been damn expensive).  I think Chiat did a good job (sorry, Sean).  Not a huge fan of their Pedigree spot, though.  Meh. I like their simpler We're for Dogs campaign a lot better.  Says more about their brand.  Less flashy, more touching.

I also really like Coke's Heist.  I think the music is great and the whole feel reminds me of their Happiness Factory spots, but better.   Not a fan of Avatar....blah.  Not for the masses, which is what the Superbowl is.

On another note, the Pepsi Max Superbowl I'm good commercials annoy me.  The whole "let's show how our product promotes extreme manliness in a humorous way" is a smart strategy, I think.  But it's been done. And done. And done again.  Dial for Men, Milwaukee's Best Light, Snickers, are just a few more recent examples.  I'm getting sick of it.  I realize that when you find something that works, you use it.  The "Use this product to get laid" strategy is one of the oldest tricks in the book, and somehow never seems to stop working.  I just can't help wanting something new.  Maybe I watch way too many commercials/am not the target and that's why I'm annoyed.  But isn't there something else besides sex and machismo that can sell products to you guys?

I'm all over the place.  Lots of good spots to watch in this post though.  Sorry I can't embed. (When I paste, a weird box pops up at the very bottom of my browser?)

1 comment:

Deanna said...

ok so seriously I think we are either a) inhabitants of the same body or b) channeling some serious brain waves

(p.s. i love your bod, but i'm kind of hoping it's the second option... otherwise it might get a little weeeeiiird)

ok so here's why:

Exhibit A) you are back on twitter and blogging this week after I recently launched into the twitter/blog world. Have to say I love the company, and the conversation :)

Exhibit B) Snuggie and Durex. Enough said.

Exhibit C your post below this and my recent post about tweeting during the Super Bowl -- an idea I came to after seeing this http://adweek.blogs.com/adfreak/superbowlads.html and realizing my strong desire to be part of the conversation.

Exhibit D) this post. And the one I started writing about my Super Bowl spots review, which I saved to my computer last night and am in the process of finishing right now. CREEPY!!!

oh and one more thing... I heart you <3