Well, we graduated from UF (The University of Florida) in 2008 (most of us, at least). After leaving the halls (or atrium) of Weimer Hall, we're off to work in advertising, all across the country! What we're up to, and what we're in to - you'll find it here! Check often to find out about the Wizards of Weimer!

Monday, March 16, 2009

Japanese Love Robot

Ever since Ruff has been in Japan, I keep an eye out for blogs/articles about anything Japanese. I have found that these articles are often highly interesting and extremely amusing. In fact, I think Lauren should start her own weekly post on Japanese culture. (Ps- MelDoug, what happened to 15 minutes of fame?)

Anyway, I usually keep the articles to myself. But this one I HAVE to share. It seems that some researchers in Kyoto who have created Kenji, a robot who can show emotions such as love, didn't know what they were getting themselves into.

Here's a quote from the article that I think will convince you to read the whole thing: "Each time Kenji is re-activated, he instantaneously bonds with the first technician to meet his gaze and rushes to embrace them with his two 100kg hydraulic arms. It doesn’t help that Kenji uses only pre-recorded dog and cat noises to communicate and is able to vocalize his love through a 20 watt speaker in his chest."

1 comment:

Mel Doug said...

I don't know about 'bonding with technicians' or 'dog and cat noises to communicate' or giant love robots Japanese or not...

15 minutes of fame is temporarily on hold thanks to me working 11-12 hour days too much of late. Hope to bring it back sometime soon...