Well, we graduated from UF (The University of Florida) in 2008 (most of us, at least). After leaving the halls (or atrium) of Weimer Hall, we're off to work in advertising, all across the country! What we're up to, and what we're in to - you'll find it here! Check often to find out about the Wizards of Weimer!

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

How an Earthquake ruined my sushi lunch! (little F*er)

Hello Kiddies!  As you know, I've been away.  Not because I don't love you but because my computer crashed and didn't return for 2weeks and I don't blog at work...as much as I'd love to!

Many of you, if not all of you, know that LA was hit by an earthquake.  Not sure if they refer to it as hit, like we say a hurricane hit the coast of Florida..blah, blah...but, to much surprise and disbelief it sure as hell did!! Right when I least expected.  It was quite the day at work today.

So, like the good little media assistant that I am, I was working on the excel spreadsheets from hell (they have multiple tabs with 2392838278392839 rows and columns each) and being new I'm still learning the tricks of the trade at RPA.  My planner was at my desk literally filling me with all these shortcuts and guidelines of how to set up hours worth of excel for a measly little pie chart (one of many).  While my head was spinning with information a good little shakey shake happened and I was like holy big mac truck probably just few by...bastards slow down!  Then...SHAKE, RATTLE AND ROLL...(literally) our building was swaying.  The second the shakes started my planner was like "fuck an earthquake," he's a cali native who survived the Northridge quake, and my first reaction was "must jump on planner."  So...I did...seriously jump out of my desk onto his arm and looked at him like he was a ghost while keeping myself from sharting my pants.  

I guess one of the safest spots to take cover is in a doorway or anywhere away from glass, windows and object that can fall and hit you.  We run to the doorway and damn, they're made out of GLASS! So again, I'm holding in any sort of "accident" by crossing my legs!  I guess at that point he realized going under our desks would've been the best choice but it was over by then.  All this stuff probably happened in about 15 seconds, but I swear it felt like minutes!!!  Crazy ass shit.  People came out of offices with hands over their mouths and the emergency teams were on their phones figuring out what to tell us.  It wasn't too hectic since most have been through many, but it was a bit scattered crazy!  The earthquake was said to have been a 5.8 and others say a 5.4.  The strongest in 10 years!   It was felt all the way to Las Vegas and Mexico!  And the big one is planned on hitting within 30 years.   I'll be gone by then hopefully!  (the last big one lasted 3 minutes!)

Here's where the story gets worse.  I MISSED A SCHEDULED SUSHI LUNCH!!! A friend and I planned awhile back to eat sushi for lunch today since we are both sushi whores!  Both of us aren't natives and were too freaked out to walk the block and a half to get there worried of the possibility of an aftershock mid walk over.  I also refrained from using the potty in fear of being alone for an aftershock and not knowing what the heck to do!

So, hours later, after much research, and tending to worried friends and family I get back to work and BAM we lose power.  So, the entire building starts to goof off and an hour later we were dismissed.  Today was kinda scary but quite the experience.  I'd have to say that though it was startling, it wasn't too bad.  You just never know how long they will last and how strong they will be.  In fact, we can have aftershocks for the following week!  Usually, we won't feel them, but in the past the "first one" could be a pre-quake.  

All in all, I'm getting the full California experience.  This was the biggest fear I had coming out here and I had hoped to be out before any hit, but LA had other plans for me!  All I have to say is damn that quake for ruining what was going to be an orgasmic lunch!  I'll be taking the stairs from now on...nooooo elevators for this girl!

4 comments:

Nancy said...

P.S. Eric and I were just saying it was very surreal kind of like being in a movie!

Linny said...

Now you'll be immune to earthquakes! Kind of like getting a flu shot.

Corwin said...

No pictures of carnage? Weak post(Glad you're okay).

Nancy said...

Corwin...you're a whore! I'm glad I'm okay and that you're okay in NYC! whooooo!