Well, we graduated from UF (The University of Florida) in 2008 (most of us, at least). After leaving the halls (or atrium) of Weimer Hall, we're off to work in advertising, all across the country! What we're up to, and what we're in to - you'll find it here! Check often to find out about the Wizards of Weimer!

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Why you comin' home, five in the morn'?

Lately I have been coming back from the agency around 10:30 p.m. -11:00 p.m.. You have to understand how very weird it is to walk out to the parking lot only to see that my car is the only one left in the (very large) parking lot.

But, things have to get done, after all. You see, we have this intern project which requires us, for all intensive purposes, to do a business pitch to the heads of the company. I'm not so much worried about pitching to them, but rather to have my bosses that I work with, as well as my fellow interns in the room.

Also, I have decided to bring in some Flash into the presentation. While it looks great, Flash always seems to leave me working up to hour 0 and wondering "Really, was it REALLY worth it?'
Overall, I feel like I can now appreciate the difficulty of new business pitches now, more so because our presentation was "moved up" a couple days. The use of quotes was because I believe that there really wasn't any emergency which caused them to change it. (After all, the presentations will be attended by some high level people. It doesn't seem like they would have the schedules that permit sudden three hour blocks of presentations to crop up.)

Yesterday was the second installment of 'Lot Rock' -- the agency's way of welcoming in summer. Every week the agency features a band (usually made up of people in the agency) and a type of beer (with wine and Miller as well). Work stops at 5:00 and everyone gathers -- CEOs and peons alike -- to enjoy some music and a beautiful blue Michigan sky. While I could only stay for half of this week's lot rock, I managed to see the rest from my window on the third floor. I could swear that someone must have looked up at my hangdog expression and thought "Thank god I'm not a damn intern."

Next week is something called 'Creativity For Kids'. I don't know what that entails, but the Chevy and Navy experience vans are now parked outside the office. Anything that kids like can ONLY mean fun.

At least, fun for me. (Oh dear, that sounded creepy)

Work goes well, yet each day I realized how everything is becoming less about surviving in an ad agency and more about preparing for my journey across the sea. Currently it stands at 15 days until I find myself living in the land of Hello Kitty for at least a year.

First thing is first -- worry about this presentation, then I can worry about Japan.

Oh...and kicking some rear in our floor-wide Nerf war next week.

7 comments:

Mel Doug said...

I wonder if anyone else that reads this knows what song you are referring to in the title of this post?

Please announce it if you do.

burchie said...

In an answer to MelDoug - "Let me smell yo dick" or whatever the hell that damn song was called that was always blasting at like 3am while the four of us (you, me, Ruff, and Frannie) were cramming for campaigns.

Also, Lauren, I found an edit...can you make this change? ;)

Linny said...

What change?

By the way -- loving the profile picture! :D

Karina said...

I'm still shocked at that song's existence and I've heard it many times.

Guys, not only did a deeply disturbed writer and singer create this song but someone probably actually paid for studio time, even hired a producer, editor, everything. And with all those people in the room while it was being recorded, no one ever stopped to say 'WTF?!'

Linny said...

We sing it around the office (well, hum it).

Apparently Karina, there is a music video up now. It is fantastically trashy.

Sean said...

and karina has now come to realize the absolutely awful state of hiphop today...sadly country has followed suit in recent years, so we can expect a countrified version of it in the not too distant future...

but what is made popular in music is only a reflection of the culture that allows it to happen, but that's something that i'd much rather get into at another time...

Linny said...

I don't know if songs such as SYD are a reflection of the culture but more or less a 'shock tactic'. Seeing how far they can take it.

Following that, the popularity of the song can be attributed much to something like a car accident -- you can't bear to watch, and yet you can't look away.