Well, we graduated from UF (The University of Florida) in 2008 (most of us, at least). After leaving the halls (or atrium) of Weimer Hall, we're off to work in advertising, all across the country! What we're up to, and what we're in to - you'll find it here! Check often to find out about the Wizards of Weimer!

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Just Do It

So the 'Just Do It" campaign is celebrating its 20th year (that makes me feel old). I've always been a pretty big Nike fan, as far as some clothes and sneakers go, and their soccer advertising. I came across this powerful spot on Creativity, for the Olympics, celebrating the 'Just Do It' spirit.



The song is "All These Things That I've Done" by the Killers. It's a very interesting choice of song because it is clearly referencing war - "I've got soul, but I'm not a soldier," and the Olympic committee is praying that there is no terrorism impending at the games since they decided to let China host.

But the good thing that Nike portrays in the ad is culture. It is not just about Americans, it's about all races, and all sports competing, whether it is for your team, your country, or just yourself.

Visa has been advertising their card with the campaign slogan, "Go World" also taking the worldly, instead of American approach.

1 comment:

Corwin said...

I don't know about a clear reference to war. I'd say its a clear reference to what it takes to be great at something. It rings true because they represent their countries but they're not soldiers, they're athletes.