Well, we graduated from UF (The University of Florida) in 2008 (most of us, at least). After leaving the halls (or atrium) of Weimer Hall, we're off to work in advertising, all across the country! What we're up to, and what we're in to - you'll find it here! Check often to find out about the Wizards of Weimer!

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Who ISN'T blogging these days?

Working in Social Media, I realize sometimes that when I start to talk about a lot of things that I do at work, I must backtrack a bit and give some explanations as not everyone is as well acquainted as I am about the internets.

The funny thing is that I have found myself explaining things like RSS feeds, blogs (oh yes, blogs) and blooean searches to people who are my age. So many people assume that someone who was raised with a computer will instantly know everything about the internet (as if everyone born after 1980 was genetically programmed to understand how to upload a YouTube video). In reality, a lot of younger people use the internet at its most basic level since they don't really have any reason to go deeper.

The internet has always had a lot of information, but only recently have we been able to utilize it and properly catalog it to the point where the information can get to the right people at the right time. A great YouTube video called Teaching the Machine demonstrates more eloquently how the 'Machine' has learned from us constantly feeding it data through clicks or mash-ups.

And yet, we add so much data to the internet every day (even if a lot of it is just a bunch of really dumb crap.) Flickr maps, Yahoo Pipes, Tweets, blogs -- the internet has evolved from a linear dialog (someone makes a web site, you view the web site) to a much more winding process (someone posts, someone reads, someone comments, someone links, someone remixes, etc.)

But, this all comes at a price: the internet isn't unlimited after all. Some even think that the internet might run out of space soon.

Oh well. I'm sure there are some things they could maybe get rid of out there?

4 comments:

Sean said...

i'll tell you who isn't: Nancy and Nicole!

Karina said...

1st of all, charlie bit me might be silly, but it's highly entertaining, even still when I've watched it 205 times.

And 2ndly, you totally rick rolled me. Damnit.

Julio said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julio said...

touche good sir...and I agree: Charlie Bit Me might be stupid but it's so darned cute (and the baby looks like Curly from the Three Stooges.)